Homemade Christmas Ornaments
"Prescription for a Warm Heart Snowman Ornament"
Submitted by Cyndee Kromminga of KSFrost your tree with a collection of these cute little prescription bottle snowmen. Recycle those old prescription bottles, that are of no use anymore, as you enjoy crafting these snowmen ornaments by the dozen. You will have everybody doing a double take, as he is certainly a conversation starter.
1. Remove the bottle cap and discard. Paint the entire surface of the prescription bottle using the off white acrylic paint. Paint the wood plug using the orange acrylic paint. Allow the paint to dry.
2. Measure around the prescription bottle and add a 1/4 inch. Cut a piece of fleece using this measurement for the width of your hat and 6 inches for the length. Cut an additional 1/2 inch wide by 6 inch length for the hat tie.
3. With the wrong sides together, overlap the 6 inch sides of the fleece hat by a 1/4 inch. Hot glue the overlapped edge. Fold a 1 inch brim on the hat tube. Place the tube on top of the prescription bottle. It should overlap the top of the bottle by 1 inch. Apply craft glue under the edge to hold it in place. Gather the top of the fleece hat and tie using the 6 inch fleece strip. Fold the top of the hat over and hot glue to the hat brim.
4. Center and glue the wood plug to the prescription bottle. Allow the glue to dry.
5. Apply blush to the cheeks of the snowman's face using the cotton swab. Dip the blunt end of the wood skewer into the black paint and shape two 1/4 inch triangular eyes above the nose an 1/8 inch apart. Allow the paint to dry. Dip the blunt end of the wood skewer into the white paint and dot a highlight on each eye. Dip the pointed end of the wood skewer into the white paint and paint a comma mark on the side of the nose. Allow the paint to dry.
6. Mark eyebrows above the eyes and two eyelashes on the bottom-sides of each eye using the fine tip permanent marker. Draw a big smile from one blushed cheek to the other.
7. Glue an old button to the front of the hat brim. Using the crochet thread and embroidery needle, attach a hanger to the top of the hat and knot the ends.
8. Lay the snowman in a sink. Dip the toothbrush in the black paint. With the toothbrush facing down, rub your thumb's fingernail over the toothbrush bristles to splatter the snowman. Allow the paint to dry.